Chemical Process Technologies: Development, Design & Construction
Developing Technology Companies
When you start with a great chemistry concept, or a unique application of an innovative chemistry, bringing that idea to a full-scale manufacturing reality can feel daunting. Developing technology clients often come to us with the chemistry —— and stay —— for the collaboration.
Developing technology companies need more — more expertise that goes well beyond a scalable process design, more capabilities beyond process design and modular construction expertise, more time and patience to work with these technologies from the very earliest stage, through to construction, a process not provided by larger engineering companies.
From Pilot Plant Data. To Full Scale. To the Bank.
Koch Modular goes well beyond, and has the business and financial acumen to advise clients on what it takes to run a full scale manufacturing plant, not just build one. This takes large project execution experience, deep industry knowledge, and management know-how. It requires a keen understanding of how to staff a two or three year project, and then how to staff the operational manufacturing facility itself. Koch Modular helps developing tech companies develop the pilot plant data for their new, novel concept designs that move into detailed designs, and project execution plans necessary to persuade funding sources to get the money flowing. Our DTC clients ask us to sit down with their prospective funding sources, to help translate how to take chemists’ and engineers’ brilliant concepts to full scale manufacturing reality.
Listen More. Find a Solution.
Our Developing Technology Companies are able to leverage Koch Modular’s team of experts for a technically and financially viable process. These DTC clients form a close relationship with our Koch Modular team members who are able to delve in deep and help DTC companies understand how to achieve a fully functional manufacturing facility that can be reliably funded, and is viable for years out into the future.
The Koch Modular advantage doesn’t stop with truly listening to the needs of our clients. We know what it takes to run a full-scale manufacturing plant, not just build one. Our modular construction approach empowers our clients to make critical decisions intelligently and efficiently, with a high level of trust that the process will perform as expected. Koch Modular provides a unique blend of single-source capabilities with a true step-change in process, product and project delivery for the chemical process industry.
Our Experience. Your Growth.
Let Koch Modular’s nearly 35 years of process engineering and modular design experience work to your advantage.
Developing Technology Companies rely upon our capabilities in the following areas:
Process Development: Collaborative development of overall process material balances and selection of optimal unit operations. Development of OPEX and CAPEX models.
Pilot Testing: Equilibrium data development. Proof of concept distillation, extraction and reaction testing.
Process Design: Process Flow Diagrams, P&ID’s, Equipment Design and Equipment/Plant General Arrangement.
Detailed Engineering: Chemical, Mechanical, Electrical, Civil-Structural, Instrumentation and Controls.
Modular System Construction: Single source, lump sum fixed price supply of complete process plants. Designed and constructed off-site in a controlled environment. Performance and Mechanical Warranties.
Startup Support: Training, startup, optimization and debottlenecking support.
Koch Modular’s unique combination of development, design and construction expertise positions our customers on a faster route from lab scale development to successful market ready production.
How Koch Modular can benefit you:
Whether through pilot testing at our Houston, Texas facility or through collaborative engineering efforts, Koch Modular provides process improvements in the areas of energy efficiency, product purity, management of impurity buildup, system capacity, up-time, maintainability and overall system’s integration.
Time to Market
Time to market is a critical parameter to developing technologies. Through sound engineering and the schedule compression benefits of modular construction, we can accelerate our customer’s time to market.
Often times a developing technology company is resource limited. Koch Modular’s ability to be a single source provider of a turn-key packaged system (plant), allows our customers to free their resources to work on other essential tasks including securing investment, market development, site planning, permitting, raw material sourcing, etc.
Markets we serve:
- Biomass to Chemicals – fermentation and reaction based processes; major unit operations including reaction, distillation, liquid-liquid extraction, solids handling, compression, filtration and drying.
- Biomass to Fuels – including bio-alcohols and Biodiesel
- CO2 Recovery
- Natural Gas to Liquids
- Electronic Specialty Gases
Past Projects Portfolio:
- Chemicals from Biomass: Complete raw materials to finished product process, including solids transfer, reaction, filtration, drying and mass transfer systems. Koch Modular was direct partner during the conception of overall process flow diagram, selection/optimization of unit operations, guidance of pilot testing activities, and development of operating and capital cost models. Koch Modular is a nominated partner for the design and construction of first commercial plant.
- Acetic Acid Recovery: Developed, pilot tested, designed and constructed modular liquid-liquid extraction and distillation system to recover acetic acid from fermentation process.
- Reactive Monomer Process: Complete raw materials to finished product (adhesives) process, including reaction and mass transfer systems. Koch Modular provided guidance of pilot testing activities and development of operating and capital cost models. Koch Modular is a nominated partner for the design and construction of first commercial plant.
- Biodiesel Purification: Developed, pilot tested, designed and constructed multiple vacuum distillation systems improving purity and winter performance of biodiesel.
- Bio-alcohol Purification: Developed distillation process for the recovery and purification of multiple alcohols produced via bio-fermentation process.
- Bio-derived Oil Purification: Pilot tested and subsequently designed and constructed demonstration scale liquid-liquid extraction column for the recovery of plant oils from plant solids.
- Leading US Research University: Designed and constructed demonstration scale absorber/stripper systems to recover and purify carbon dioxide from coal fired power plant stack gas.
- Multi-national Energy Company: Designed and constructed two demonstration scale absorber/stripper systems to recover and purify carbon dioxide from coal fired power plant stack gas.
- Princeton University: Designed and constructed liquid-liquid extraction and dilstillation based system for an international sub-atomic energy particle research program located in Italy.
- US Polymer Company: Collaborated with company’s scientist and engineers on the process development and process design of a raw materials to finished polymer continuous reaction process.
Rare Earth Metals
- Metal Extraction: Pilot tested liquid-liquid extraction processes for the recovery of rare earth metals.
Electronic Specialty Gases
- High Purity Electronic Gases: Worked with Technology Licensor to take paper technology to fully conceived raw material to finished product high purity electronic specialty gas process. Complete process plant designed and built modular by Koch Modular. Incorporates three reactions steps and eight distillation steps. Supported specification development and procurement of solid transfer systems, compressor, scrubber system, tank farm, etc. Designed and supplied complete plant control system using Emerson DeltaV, nominally 1500 I/O points.