Liquid-Liquid Extraction Equipment and Chemical Separation Solutions
Koch Modular Process Systems, LLC. Extraction Technology Group specializes in the design and supply of liquid-liquid extraction equipment engineered to fulfill the chemical, pharmaceutical, petrochemical, biotech and flavor & fragrance industries’ increasingly challenging purification requirements. Our extractor design expertise includes SCHEIBEL® Columns, KARR® Columns, rotating disc contactor (RDC) columns, pulsed, packed (SMVP) and sieve tray.
At Koch Modular, we don’t just sell extraction equipment; we supply solutions to your difficult separation applications. Koch Modular also provides replacements parts, repair services and troubleshooting assistance for all types of extraction columns. A qualified technician or engineer can be provided on-site for both mechanical and process related support.
Liquid-liquid extraction is a powerful separation technique that falls right behind distillation in the hierarchy of separation methods (see figure on the right).
- Separation not feasible by distillation slide
- Break azeotropes
- Energy requirements of distillation are prohibitive
- A complex distillation sequence is required
- The material is heat sensitive
- The material is non-volatile
The general rule: If a separation can be made economically by distillation, there is no reason to consider extraction. However, in situations where distillation is not feasible for reasons such as a complex process sequence, high investment or operating costs, heat sensitive materials, or low volatility, extraction is often the best technology to use.
Extraction frequently involves additional steps to recover and recycle the solvent. A typical extraction process is shown below. About 3% of the operating cost is in the extractor, with the remaining 97% in solvent recovery. Also, the majority of the capital cost is in the equipment downstream of the extraction column. Therefore, it is extremely important to consider the solvent recovery aspects early in the project since they play such an important role in overall process economics.
Liquid-Liquid Extraction Applications by Industry
- Washing of acids/bases, polar compounds from organics
- Recovery of acrylic acid
- Recovery of carboxylic acids from biomass such as fermentation broths
- Recovery of oil from algae broths
- Recovery of active materials from fermentation broths
- Purification of vitamin products
- Recovery of phenol, DMF, DMAC
- Recovery of acetic acid from dilute solutions
- Recovery of caprolactam for nylon manufacture
- Separation of catalyst from reaction products
- Lube oil quality improvement
- Separation of aromatics/aliphatics (BTX)
- Separation of olefins/parafins
- Separation of structural isomers
- Decaffeination of coffee and tea
- Separation of essential oils (flavors and fragrances)
- Recovery of cobalt and nickel
- Recovery of rare earth elements
- Purification of phosphoric acid
- Purification of uranium
Complete System Design
In addition to the extractor, an extremely important aspect of any extraction application is the design of the system to recover and recycle the solvent, and further purification of extracted products. In most cases, these additional steps are accomplished by means of distillation, and when necessary, are also studied during the pilot tests.
At Koch Modular, we often supply the extraction and distillation components as a complete modular system. Typical examples are illustrated on this page.
Our team of experienced engineers is available to work together with you on your next liquid-liquid extraction application, from conceptualization through start-up.
Advantages of Modular Construction
- Lower cost/lump sum bid
- Schedule compression
- Minimal plant site interruption
- Construction proceeds while waiting for permits
- Single source responsibility
- Progress of work is not affected by weather conditions